2.20.2014

A LITTLE ABOUT ME


Illustration by Feling Poh 

After a few emails from some lovely ladies asking I thought I would put up a little post about me

Age: 21 City: Brisbane, Aus

Childhood
Spent most of my early childhood trying get in with my two older brothers Flynn & Morgan by playing toy cars, unsuccessfully trying to ride a bmx bike (which ended in my mouth being full of rocks) and other activities which nearly always left me hurt. My parent’s were divorced when I was five which meant I grew up with my mother who is probably the most amazing human I know.

How I got into blogging
I got into blogging around this time last year after a few people via social media has been asking if I had one. I really just wanted to do something & anything to get creating and to be honest I did think no one would really read it and it could be something different for Michael & I. I already loved clothing & Michael already loved photography so it was sort of decided then that we would just start and see what happened. What was the worst that could happen?

How I got into typography
I got into typography a few university holidays ago when I was pretty sick of designing everything on the computer and struggling to find a nice brush font that I liked. Being someone who hates doing nothing I decided to try learn the skill of hand lettering. From there I started writing a lot of calligraphy that I love but brush is where my heart is. I love the stroke of a brush, even though you can mess it all up within 0.1 second.  From there I have been practicing most days since and developing my own identifiable style.

Tools
Indian Ink, Various Brushes, Water, and copious amounts of paper.

My first memory of typography
Grade 5, I was known in primary school as the bubble writing queen and if you were born early 90s you know what a big deal that is. I also used to write little books of different handwriting because classmates always wanted to copy. I was also the first in my class to get a pen license?

What is around me right now
 Baby’s Breath taken from a wedding, Water, Photobooth photos, 7 different ink pots, 3 art pallets, Receipts, Twill, Polka dot stickers and way too much paper.

Biggest challenge
I would say my biggest challenge is myself, I am someone who takes things to heart and can be very hard on myself which is never fun.  But more so currently, I have been faced with a few challenges with people taking and using my work without permission. It is something I find hard to deal with as I don’t want to be chucking huge watermarks over my work and I don’t want to have to stop sharing my work through social media.

Fun Facts
My biggest fear is anything to do with lizards, I’m sorry if I am following someone who puts up a photo of a lizard I have to unfollow them at the risk of throwing my phone out of fear. I am just terrified by the sight of them. Especially the ones that live near rivers and lakes. Geckos are okay.

As of 2012 I can’t eat Corn Chips, Corn, Twisties or Cheetos without my stomach going into a world of pain. I can’t work out why because I still eat popcorn without any trouble.

Michael is actually my oldest brother’s friend and I met him when I was in Primary School.

I have pretty gory nightmares.

I also love to watch scary and true-life crime shows, even though I have taken a break to ware off the dreams.

I can’t eat dinner while watching a movie.

The first level of my house went under in the 2011 floods so I lived with my brother Morgan for 8 months in an apartment.


I stress-shower not stress-eat.

I have two middle names



And thats a little bit about me

jasmine x 

You can see more of Feling's illustrations here

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Jasmine! I'm sorry to hear that people are taking and using your work without permission. It's one thing to re-gram or post a picture, as long as you always, ALWAYS give credit and backlink, but it's down right theft to take and use for your own gain - is there a way you could include a tiny watermark within your design? Instead of having to splash one across your work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing this post Jasmine, it's nice to get to know you a little more! I hate hearing about work being stolen, it's so rude. I hope it all sorts itself out. I love the illustration of you.. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a stress-showerer too! I thought id never identify with someone else like that before. Thanks for opening up!

    xx Millie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally identify with the gorey dreams! Ive seen every single episode of criminal minds and svu, usually its a marathon haha and its messy! But somehow i love them, writing this im cringing at how warped i sound haha! Also i too was the bubble writing queen! I used to do friends title pages for them haha xE

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your beautiful work recently Jasmine, your lettering is amazing! It's also nice to find someone else with a overwhelming fear of lizards that can't eat corn chips ;)

    Have a lovely day!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog is fantastic; what you
    show us is very interesting and is really good written. It's just great
    Photobooths world

    ReplyDelete